Sunday, May 23, 2010

Putting the homely in breakfast

I have had quite a lot of free time on my hands which has inspired making more things from scratch. It is extremely satisfying and not to mention money saving! I have always enjoyed baking but have left the more simpler things to be provided by the supermarket shelves. So far there has been pasta, without a pasta maker, good arm workout getting it to the required almost paper thin thickness but so so tasty and quick. Mostly all homemade cleaners, you can do a lot with vinegar and baking soda, and so much better for the allergies and asthma.

Over the weekend I focused on breakfast, homemade muesli, with lots of almonds and dried peaches, almost makes getting up exciting. Recipe from here I made a few changes as I didn't have wheatgerm, just the right sweetness. Also made some extremely tasty bran muffins that I added kiwifruit, sunflower seeds and almonds too, I love the tin they are in. I picked it up at the sallys for $3. I have no idea where it was made, it is like a kids collage, a strange arrangement of pretty pictures.


Lastly the most exciting, home made yoghurt!!!! I was skeptical that it would work and slightly worried about eating it but it is delicious and creamy and so far no adverse effects. I hate to think of all the money I have spent on cartons of yoghurt when the process is so simple.



The book where most of this homemade goodness is coming from is the book Tips from your nana 'waste not want not' so worth geting a copy, I love everything in there and love it doubly because my nana gifted it to me as an engagement present.

No comments:

Post a Comment